Thursday, January 28, 2010

Singin' in the Rain


I know it rained all over the Southeast for pretty much the entire fall. Okay, and half the summer. I was absolutely sick of it by the beginning of November. It seemed like everything was drowning. What had never occurred to me was that water in liquid form, while obnoxious to walk through, drains neatly away in all those street drains. Water in frozen form does not. I started to miss all the dreary brown. The solid white was a beautiful change for the first few days (at least when we weren't driving), but I missed seeing ground. Seeing where I was aiming my car. Seeing where I was about to step. Four days ago, the temperature warmed up to the 40s and the rain started. For two wonderful days, it just kept on raining and melting away the snow. I loved it. This is what I saw...




What is that? It isn't white...I barely recognize it...could that be the actual ground? Oh, but not just any old ground. What color is that? Green?

Ah, yes. Under all the snow, in -16 degree temperatures, grass was miraculously alive. I can barely comprehend this. Grass. I don't get this place. Mom and Dad's yard is brown all winter and all it has to deal with is the occasional dip below the freezing mark. (I know, Dad. It has to do with the kind of grass. Don't get on my case here. You're missing the point.)

I enjoyed the beautiful green view while it lasted though. By this morning, this is the sight that greeted me.



The snow was back :-( And back with a vengeance. Just look at this blowing action.



That snow just kept drifting off the roof in huge puffs. I'm glad I didn't have to go out today. I sweet-talked Nathan into getting the groceries :-D I so love my husband.


No comments:

Post a Comment